Saturday, November 3, 2007

CARS Conference Day 2

Today started out with a decent breakfast at the conference and some tired students. Most of the students took the Powerstroke class which, they tell me, was great IF you work on them all day long. TC and I took a "Diagnostic Challenge" class. It was quite good. Evan and Brad came in 1/2 way through.

The guy that taught the class is a mobile driveability repair tech and he made case studies out of vehicles that HE misdiagnosed. He is well know to be one of the leaders in the US. It was good because he had one study on approaching a REAL data bus failure. It was a GM something. The SIR and IP modules were setting U codes saying they could not talk to the TCM (transmission control module). After some diagnosis, he replaced the TCM and it did not fix. Instead the BCM (body control module) acts as a gateway and was lying to the other modules. He did a good job making it easy to understand. He also did a good job with some vesicles that had transmission solenoid faults. TC was able to follow the whole thing all the way through.


We had an OK lunch and then we got to see who won the prizes from last night. Student Paul won the Bosch tool kit, same as I won last year! This one: http://bosch.cpotools.com/combo_kits/18_volt_combo_kits/cpk40-18.html


Brad Watts won an IPOD! Everyone else won lots of pens and hats and a cool calculator from Toyota.


After lunch I ran back down to the SEMA Show as they were closing at 4 today. I did a whirlwind tour and saw a few things I missed before.



Millions of things like this:





A really cool Challenger:











Wild Honda:





Watched a few minutes of taping an Overhaulin episode. They had a ways to go yet so they better get going since the SEMA Show was closing in 1 hour!




I also was able to get Vic Edlebrock to sign an Edlebrock hat I brought with me. Too Cool. While I was leaving I got to see something you don't see every day...2 small block Chevy powered bar stools going down the road! I couldn't get my camera up fast enough so you will have to trust me.

No comments: